Causes Of Acidity
The stomach produces gastric acids that help in digesting food. However, due to some causes, there are times when gastric acids are produced in excess, leading to acidity. Factors affecting the function of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) are also responsible for acid reflux.
Some of the common causes of acidity include:
1. Food and dietary factors
- Eating foods containing excessive amounts of chillies, pepper, vinegar, and paprika.
- Deep fried and oily foods.
- Excessive intake of caffeine in the form of tea, coffee, and chocolate.
- High intake of table salt.
- Diet low in fiber.
- Overeating or eating at irregular intervals.
- Unhealthy habits, like lying down just after eating.
- Eating just before strenuous physical exercise.
2. Lifestyle factors
- Frequent smoking.
- Excessive intake of alcohol, soda, or carbonated drinks.
- Lack of sleep.
- Lack of physical activity.
3. Ailments and medications
- Excessive stress, anxiety, or depression.
- Stomach diseases, like peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and stomach cancer.
- Medications, like painkillers, antibiotics, chemotherapy medications, and antidepressants.